Monday, January 23, 2012

Special Individuals, A Class That Gets You Thinking

I just printed off a bunch of materials for my classes (forms and such that need to be signed) and I swear I have a few dead trees sitting in front of me... I feel like a bad person :(

My class, Intro to Special Individuals, was interesting today. We watched a movie with a teacher trying to explain to adults what it feels like to have a learning disability. Most of these people in the video were not LD but after he went through the elements of F.A.T. (frustration, anxiety, and tension) it made me see how even someone that's not learning disabled could be discouraged in a classroom. The man took the lesson quickly, gave no praises for "students" that got answers right, dished out rude remarks and sarcasm when someone had a wrong answer, and had most of the people not wanting to answer. I could see this as something that occured throughout high school in classes I attended. When the guy started explaining why these methods of teaching were wrong and gave the point of view of the LD child, I started thinking, have I been like this in a classroom or with kids? I sure hope not, I would feel like a complete and total jerk if I did... He gave options on how to avoid that teacher behavior and encourage LD kids to come out of their shells and feel successful. He also explained the differences in perception between the kids and the teacher. The teacher has had more experience so just because a child doesn't know the answer to a question, it doesn't mean the teacher is more superior and the child is stupid. Everybody needs help some time.

Anyway, enough about class! I'm excited about a number of things at this moment
  • I'm blogging! No slobbing around today!
  • I got the Apex space for the wedding
    • This is a double edged sword though... Not only does it cost a lot already, no one has been around to take my check for the past week... How am I supposed to pay if there's no one to hand teh check to??
  • My Business Math class is the easiest class in the world. It's easy to the point of insulting to my intelligence. Thank God I can get an A in something.
Cael is starting to get some sickness :( It involves him waking up coughing and coughing throughout the day. It's a wet cough but it's not "productive." Hopefully it goes away soon... Brad and I have been having sore throat problems and I have a weird cough that comes and goes but neither of us are too ill.

Well, I have to cut off here so i can drive home and pick up my baby boy! Oops sorry, big boy ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment